One of the newer social media platforms is Pinterest, which makes us all want to be bakers, party planners, fashion stylists, and home decorators. But, it is also very helpful in finding something fun and a little bit different for a special day!
For me, it was my mom's birthday. I knew she liked chocolate (last year I made homemade Hostess-style cupcakes), and I knew I didn't have a ton of time to make something very complicated (see: homemade Hostess-style cupcakes). So I did a search on Pinterest, and found this recipe.
It's my first Pinterest project, and it looked so yummy, I had to share.
It is a very simple cake to make. I made a few modifications...I let the filling mixture sit in the fridge overnight so that it was rather firm when I put the cake together. And one of the layers kind of fell apart when I took it out of the pan -- I am not sure if that was because I overcooked it, or tried to take it out of the pan for two long. And I don't think I let the topping cool enough before I spread it, so it kind of spilled over. But that made it look a little more delicious!
At any rate, simple things are often the best, and this cake was a hit! It stayed fresh for the few days between when I made it and when it was served, which is always a concern of mine. It is just important that it stays refrigerated until you're ready to eat it. Enjoy!
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (2-layer size)
- 4 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1package (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
- 12 OREO Cookies, coarsely crushed make it
- Prepare cake batter and bake in 2 (9-inch) round pans as directed on package. Cool cakes in pans 10 min. Invert onto wire racks; gently remove pans. Cool cakes completely.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until blended. Gently stir in Cool Whip and crushed cookies. Put in refrigerator until cake is completely cool and you are ready to assemble cake.
- Place one cake layer on plate, spread with cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Microwave chocolate and butter in small microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until butter is melted. Spread top with chocolate glaze, let stand for 10 minutes.
- Keep refrigerated.